Unsteady Transonic Wind Tunnel
- Blow-down wind tunnel with independent setting of Mach and Reynolds numbers.
- Capable of producing Mach number oscillations between Mach 0.4-0.6 at a controlled frequency up to 25 Hz, achieved with four counter-rotating choke bars driven by a 5-hp variable-frequency AC motor.
- Reynolds number range of 2-16 million per foot.
- Air farm consisting of two 750 cu. ft. tanks pressurized up to 2,250 psi each with air dryers.
- ±0.5% turbulence level, 15:1 contraction ratio.
- Settling chamber equipped with perforated plate, honeycomb and eight screens (60-mesh).
- Test section: 6"x22" (0.15x0.56 m) cross-section with length of 44" (1.12 m).
- Perforated sidewalls and ceiling with 1/8" holes (6% porosity) create isolated cavities for reducing Mach wave reflections in test section.
- Optical access on top and lateral sides.
Associated Instrumentation & Equipment
- Library of airfoil models designed for testing in this facility.
- Traversing wake probe.
- High-speed pressure scanners (up to 12 kHz DAQ rate).
- Hot film sensor mounted on a conical probe for insertion into test section (TSI model 1231-60W).
Contact: Prof. Jim Gregory (firstname.lastname@example.org; 614-292-5024)